Because it's not being pushed?

It's only been in the last few months where I've seen the Sony ads for MD
recorders.  I didn't even know about them until I saw one of the guys in
my office with one, and I thought it was an MP3 palyer.

I've found the sound quality of my MD player to be superior to that of
most sampling rates for MP3...not all, but most.

However, keep in mind that most people who are using MP3 aren't carrying
around portable MP3 players...they're playing them on their PC.  the MD
vs. MP3 debate isn't really an apples to apples type of argument, as MDs
can only be played on MD players, while MP3s can be played on PCs and MP3
players.

Show someone the cost differential between a portable MP3 player and
memory card vs. MD player and minidiscs, and give them a sample of
equivalent sounding recordings, and MD might go over with them.

If MD does fail, it's going to be a matter of too little too late in the
advertising department.