At 5/25/00 7:38 PM, Stainless Steel Rat increased the world's knowledge
by typing:

>Never was.  For its day it was the smallest, but that is the extent of its
>superiority.  If you want something in the same general class, the
>MZ-R90/91 is superior in every respect.

That's BS. Here's a list of areas where the R50 is superior to the R90/91:

-- The R50 can be charged while playing or recording. The R90 cannot.

-- The remote on the R90 does not have a track mark button. The R50 does.

-- The R50 had a thumb wheel. The R90 has a jog lever. I definitely
prefer the thumb wheel when creating titles.

-- The R90 is MUCH more sluggish than the R50 in startup and track seek
times. (R90 Startup = 8 sec. R50 Startup = 2 sec.)

-- The placement and shape of the main buttons (Play, Stop, FFwd, and
Rwnd) on the R50 is much better than those of the R90.

-- The track mark placement on the R90 is less precise than the R50.

I'm not saying that the R90 doesn't have any improvements over the R50,
because it does. Unfortunately, it also takes some steps backwards over
the R50.

But both of them (still!) have that stupid End Search button. So this
means that my next recorder purchase will NOT be a Sony of any model.

 Ed "What the" Heckman                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]