[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Timothy Stockman wrote,
>
> | L+R/2 is almost universally used.  FM broadcast is trasmitted this way for
> | compatibility with monaural receivers.  The "mono" switch on preamplifiers
> | does this.  However, this simple, almost universally used transformation
> | does not provide a perfect mono version of a stereo source.
>
> If that is not "perfect," then there must be some definition of perfection
> here.

You have to think complex.... (you're dealing with signals that change in the
time-domain. Thus each number has two values. This can be an amplitude with
a phase, or an amplitude with a time. Thus we need to resort to complex
numbers....

I'll have to look up which algorithm should be used to get a monoraul signal
by combining two signals without loosing to much information.

Example, take two almost identical signals, add them with a simple adder. If
one of them is 'laging behind' and thus out of phase, you'll get (using (L+R)/2
)
almost nothing.... However if you use (L^2+R^2)^0.5, you will get some sort
of average. And please note, you're working with complex numbers here, so all
amplitude and phase information is kept....

Cheers,
Ralph -> hoping to be helpfull

Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE