Circuit City advertised a Sony portable (I think it was the 37) a few
weeks ago for $199.00 which it says comes with a PC connect cable.

If Sony had been selling their portable recorders for this price 3 years
ago, the MD might have had a fighting chance.  This cable is USB.  But
the problem that I see is that you still have to record in real time.

Actually even with a CD Writer, if you want to be sure that you get a
perfect copy, it is best to record in real time.  I suppose if you have
a super fast computer and hard drive might not matter.  My flagship is
only an AMD 500 and I'm sure that the hard drive is just average.

Larry