[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ralph Smeets wrote,
>
> | I'll have to look up which algorithm should be used to get a monaural signal
> | by combining two signals without losing to much information.
>
> Would you be able to look up what algorithm Sony decks use (so that we can
> perhaps counteract it)?

Well....

No...

> | However if you use (L^2+R^2)^0.5, you will get some sort of average.
>
> Again, if L=R, the result will be 41% too high.

I think it was ( L * R ) ^ 0.5....

> | And please note, you're working with complex numbers here, so all
> | amplitude and phase information is kept....
>
> .... provided that you can figure out which square root to use.  There will
> always be two.

Cheers,
Ralph -> going to try to locate his old study books.....
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE