> I don't understand why there isn't a differnece in sound quality between
> blanks (If that is really the case)? I mean, why are some more expensive tha
> others? Are some not made better/easier for the laser to read/smoother
> inoperation or something akin to all of that?
>
> Cassettes definitely have different grads.. Why not MDs?

Because cassettes are recording analog signals that are very sensitive to
differences in the arrangement, and quality of the magnetic material on the
tape.  Unfortunately there is often no relationship between price and quality
here either.

MD's record ones and zeros.  There is almost no variation with all other things
being equal.  Tape has dropouts do to varying quality.  But except for the
quality of the case (which has nothing to do with the quality of the sound, but
the durability of the MD), each little disc inside is very close to identical.

Most are manufactured on the same exact machines.  The manufacture of these
machines states that the first thousand discs will be the best quality, but is
quick to add that you will never be able to hear the difference.

> There is something know as error correction built into into MD and CD
> players.  As long as the quality control is maintained all discs fall way
> below the error correction limits)

What the difference in price?  Some discs have cases that are constructed
better.  But the main reason is profit and fooling the general public.  Sony's
expensive "high end" ES discs contain the same disc as their least expensive
ones (just fancy white packaging.

20 20 exposed a contact lens manufacture for selling different grades of
lenses.  Supposedly, they were selling three types.  One had to be changed
weekly,  one monthly and one after several months (something like that).

Of course the ones that you could use the longest were a lot more expensive.
But it turned out that all of the boxes contained the EXACT same lens!!!  This
was just another attempt of large manufactures to cheat the public.

Larry