* las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sat, 26 Aug 2000
| This would depend upon Sony and whom ever (does anyone know who has the
| license for DVDs?)

The DVD Consortium, an association of many electronics manufacturers and
others.  There is no one company backing DVD.

| has the license for the DVD format.  Don't forget Sony and Phillips
| managed to get together bring out the CD (then they split and came out
| with the MD and DCC).

Neither of which have anywhere nearly as strong a consumer adoption as
CD-DA and DVD-Video.

| I know a patent usually expires on a product after 17 years.  But I wonder
| how standards work.  Once the patent expires it seems that you can change
| the specifications and maybe your product will be backwards compatible (if
| you want) or not-if you don't care.

Who owns what patents has nothing to do with it, unless someone devises a
proprietary format, which is antithetical to DVD.

[...]

| Have a nice weekend, Ratman (some day you have to explain to people like me
| who are the uninformed, why you have the handle Stainless Steel Rat, or why
| anyone would want to for that matter).

Long story, but read some Harry Harrison when you can.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \