* las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Mon, 28 Aug 2000
| What when you say CD-DA, you are speaking about commercial CDs.  Is that
| correct?  What limitations do you personally find in commercial CDs?

When I say CD-DA I mean CD-DA, as opposed to CD-ROM, CD-V, VCD, CDi, and
the many other applications of the compact disc.

| So your saying that as long as the Logo DVD is not on it, anyone could
| produce a DVD and not have to pay any licensing fees what so ever?

That is about the size of it.  Like I said, look at DivX.

| The term and Logo DVD is something that is copyrighted.

Trademarked, actually.  Copyright is a totally non-relevant area of law
(except in regards to copyright ownership of the specification documents).

| From everything you have said, accepting for the moment that you are
| correct, the technology used to make DVDs could be used to produce MDs of
| extremely long length.  It would seem to me that the quality of a "DVD"
| type MD would be superior to the present ATRAC MD.

One does not follow from the other.  You can put whatever you want on a
DVD, just as you can put whatever you want on a CD.  This hypothetical
Mini-DVD could be Sony ATRAC 4 on a 2.5" DVD.  It could be CD-DA on a 2.5"
DVD.  It could be up to 24-bit linear PCM at up to 96Khz on a 2.5" DVD.  It
could be MPEG-1 Layer III on a 2.5" DVD.  It could be DVD-Audio on a 2.5"
DVD.  Or it could be something else entirely.  The underlying medium has no
effect whatsoever on the audio quality of what is stored upon it.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover