Neil followed up,

| Thanks for the feedback, David.

You're welcome.

In the post he was ansering, I had said,

> First, you have to understand that there is no such thing as "sending a track
> mark" or "receiving a track mark."  They are only implied and inferred.

| I thought there was such a beast - although it's debatable as to whether
| it's implemented for these sort of transports.

Timothy Stockman has since posted that the beast does exist and resides in
P-channel on CDs.  The creature has never, it appears, found a home in
S/PDIF, though.

> But there is no code or signal in S/PDIF that means "new track starts now."

| Not meaning to question you, uneccessarily - but is this definitely true? I
| was sort of under the impression (hazy memory) that there was an instruction
| that essentially meant "new track"?

People see track marks reproduced in direct digital transfers, assume that
they are copied by some such signal, and proceed to speak in such terms.  But
for disproof try this: connect a digital (optical or coax) cable from one MD
unit to another and set the source machine to play the entire source disc;
notice the the nice track marks on the copy.  Then set the source machine to
keep repeating a single track, and see how the repetitions of the track's
contents accumulate in an ever-growing single track on the copy.

> If you connected
> the coax out of your 709 to the coax in of your X5H without going through
> the CO2, you'd probably get proper track marks.  That would be the first
> thing to try.  If it works, then you know it's the CO2 and not the 709.

| I tried this last night, as well as using my other portie (Aiwa F65)
| connected to the optical out from the CO2 - neither produced track marks -
| not even the direct connection of the coax out from the 709, to the coax in
| on my X5H in source sync recording mode. So I'm fairly sure it's a question
| of the 709 not producing any effects in the digital out stream that can be
| interpreted as track marks.

| This is consistent with my original gut feeling on this, and details gleaned
| from historical debates I've seen on the subject.

OK, thanks for checking.  If the 709's output doesn't carry the Q-channel
bits from which track marks are inferred, no devicde can insert them for you.

| What are you using to convert, then?

My standalone CDR recorder (Pioneer PDR-509) has coax and optical input and
output, and in monitor mode (as well as during recording) it can act as a
converter.  I've been able to use it only to convert from optical to coaxial,
though, because nothing else I own has coax output.

Likewise, my MDS-W1 has coax input, so it can serve as a coax-to-optical
converter during recording and in record-pause.  In monitor mode, unfortu-
nately, it does what all other Sony MD decks seem to do too: it clobbers the
subcode bits from which track marks are inferred, so any downstream recorder
lays down the audio as one long track.