>Timothy Stockman has since posted that the beast does exist and resides
in
>P-channel on CDs.  The creature has never, it appears, found a home in
>S/PDIF, though.
>
>> But there is no code or signal in S/PDIF that means "new track starts
now."

>| Not meaning to question you, uneccessarily - but is this definitely
true? I
>| was sort of under the impression (hazy memory) that there was an
instruction
>| that essentially meant "new track"?
>
>People see track marks reproduced in direct digital transfers, assume
that
>they are copied by some such signal, and proceed to speak in such
terms.  But
>for disproof try this: connect a digital (optical or coax) cable from
one MD
>unit to another and set the source machine to play the entire source
disc;
>notice the the nice track marks on the copy.  Then set the source
machine to
>keep repeating a single track, and see how the repetitions of the
track's
>contents accumulate in an ever-growing single track on the copy.

I would argue that it's the receiving device that doesn't  accept "new
track starts now"
data.  All the information needed is present in the S/Pdif signal
"validity Bit / CD-Subcode"
data area.

My CD player outputs track number, track time &  index numbers within
the
S/Pdif signal.

The Signal coming out of my JE-520 contain track number information,
though no track time
(Interestingly, track numbers only go to 9, then it marks them with
letters...)

And my DTC-ZE700 DAT sends start ID's when the occur, (these are
DEFINATLY used to mark tracks
via S/Pdif & AES/EBU digital connections!)

This "Creature's home" has always been in the SPdif spec.
wether ther reciving devices actually use the data to mark tracks is
another matter.

--matt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]