* "Dave Hooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sun, 12 Nov 2000
| So, let me get this straight: I report some observations backed up by some
| experimental details, you report that you know 7 people (yourself included)
| who listen to tracks recorded on Sharp MiniDisc portables and none of you
| have yet observed anything similar, and therefore I AM WRONG and making it
| up?

I think you are either exaggerating tremendously, or somewhere along the
line you decided that Sharp ATRAC sounds bad therefore it sounds bad to you
no matter what.  Sharp ATRAC does not sound worse than low bitrate MP3
audio as you have claimed.  If that is your experience, I do not know what
is wrong but it is not Sharp's implementation of ATRAC.

Furthermore, given that you are recording through a computer, I suspect
that the lack of isolation inside is causing distortions which the recorder
is barfing on.  Sharp's ATRAC is much more sensitive to such signal
distortions than Sony's, but the fault is still in your gear, not the
recorder.

And as I said, if you are listening on crap headphones, you are going to
hear crap from the Sharp recorder.  Sony's gear is "tuned" to compensate
somewhat for crap headphones, so yes, in that regard Sony will sound
better.

And in the end, I've got a handful of people right now who say that you are
wrong, vs. yourself.  Six to one is doesn't leave much doubt in my mind.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ unknown glowing substance which fell to