From: "Stainless Steel Rat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> * "Dave Hooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Fri, 10 Nov 2000
> | I am not!  This is the only piece of Sony equipment which I own ...
which I
> | have EVER owned!
>
> Huh?  Are you saying that the Sharp recorder was the very first MD
recorder
> you ever listened to?  If so, then what were you comparing it against to
> say that it "sounds like shit"?

Yes, that is precisely what I am saying.  I thought it was pretty obvious
what I was comparing:
1)  The original CD
2)  MD recorded on my Sharp 831
- obvious because I was commenting on CLEARLY audible artifacts in the MD
audio that weren't in the original.

I later added into the comparison
3)  MDs recorded on a friends Sony deck

when I began to notice that the MDs I'd recorded on my Sharp didn't actually
sound very good at all.

You know about MP3 encoding, right?  It sounded like a 96kbps MP3 file, or
perhaps a badly encoded 128kbps MP3 file (like you get with the "8HZ"
encoder). I was kinda expecting MD to sound 'as good as' (note the
apostrophes) CD, and I had already experienced MP3 and surmised that low
bitrate MP3 files don't actually hold their own against CDs very well.  When
I discovered that the MDs recorded on the Sharp didn't sound much better
than (substandard quality) MP3 files I began to investigate further.  Like I
already said.

dave