Hi everyone!

I asked JB HiFi about whether they have Sony MDS-JE640 MD decks in store and
they told me that the moment they get these decks in store, they sell out
very quickly. They even have told me that the local Sony distributors even
have ran out of machines to supply as "general stock". I often suspect that
the machines that are lingering in stores are the demonstrators which are
used by those stores who won't sell display or demonstrator units to
customers unless the unit is a superseded model.

The reason that these MDLP-capable decks have sold out very quickly is
because they offer MDLP abilities along with essential "presentation-audio"
features like fade-start and fade-stop during playback; and "auto-pause"
which stops the machine at the end of each track (very important for
musical-accompaniment use, drama and the like). MDLP works hand-in-glove
with MD's abilities in presentation audio because you can store the
equivalent of five CDs; 6-8 vinyl LPs or at least 80 standard-length songs
on one 80-minute MD when recorded in LP4. This amounts to lots of space
saved in transporting and storing your "presentation-audio". I was told that
a DJ could carry a small satchel full of music that would take up the
equivalent of a car trunk full of vinyl stored in milk crates for example.
MDLP will bring about the fact that this small satchel or gig bag will hold
twice or four times the equivalent -- bring on the flexibility and variety
for performances.

With regards,

Simon Mackay