> Because it's silly.
> It's just as dumb as if your PC had an "End Search" button that you had to
> press before saving any new files, otherwise it would overwrite your
> existing files.  MD is random access storing tracks much like a PC stores
> files on a hard drive or floppy disk.  It was ridiculous for them to
> implement an "End Search" mis-feature.

No.  It's silly that they implemented and DIDN'T HAVE THE OPTION of turning
it off.  But now with their new portables you have all the advantages of
automatic-End-Search and manual-End-Search namely:

Great for musicians: When recording live to MiniDisc, you can "tape over" a
bad take with one button (Record) if End Search is manual. [If end search is
automatic you need to delete the bad track, and then rerecord it;  or record
the new track and then go back and delete the old one, but of course then
you need enough space on your MD to store BOTH tracks until the old one is
deleted!]

Great for mix tapes:  Pop in the minidisc and hit record and it sticks the
next track at the end if End Search is automatic.

Sometimes it really is easier to just hit record and record something "NOW"
if End Search is manual, and I'm finding myself using End Search less and
less on my Sony portable (MZR90).  Weird because originally I couldn't live
without the 'automatic' end search on the Sharp MD831 but now with the sony
I'm finding new ways to use MD.
A good example:  record a new track in the middle of another track, when End
Search ISN'T automatic, is easy - find the place, then hit record.  With End
Search IS automatic, it's more fiddly: you would need to find the place,
make a new track mark (i.e. split the track), delete the second half and
THEN record the new track.

Just 2p