This email was delivered to you by The Free Internet,
a Business Online Group company. http://www.thefreeinternet.net
> >Hi all.
> >
> >I just thought about something.  If MDs had come out BEFORE
> CDs, I wonder if
> >CDs would have caught on as well?
>
> >Yes, it would have.  CD caught on because it had a significant
> >and
> >revolutionary difference over any other existing format at the
> >>time:
> >Random Access.  It also had improved sound quality, although >I
> >don't
> >believe that's why the masses flocked to CD.  I'm pretty sure
> >the reason
> >CD was readily adopted is one of convenience.  Being able to
> >skip from
> >track to track and NOT have to FFWD or RWD is a huge
> >convenience.
>
> Maybe you have heard of these things called "records"? They have random
> access last time I checked, and they were by far the most common
mainstream
> music medium of the time, even though minicassete and 8 track were still
in
> production. I've even seen programable turntables.

They sort of have random access, BUT you have to get up and change the track
yourself, and while there probably is turntables that will do this for you,
how much more does it cost? More than the mainstream consumers would pay,
And are they mainstreamly available? I think not, thats why a mainstream
format that doesn't cost too much took off, because it released proper
random access to the mainstream, its popularity that makes a product a
success, as you so rightly put later on here concerning the Rio, MP3's etc

> I don't think being able to access tracks was something that helped CD
catch
> on, but it might have doomed CDs if they didn't have the feature.
>
> One of the biggest things that helped CD catch on IMO, was the fact that
in
> the 80s people were always looking for something new and cool to blow
their
> cash on. The same is pretty much true today, but people are so paranoid
> about being stuck with a "looser" format that they won't buy new formats
no
> matter how good they are. It's like they are afraid of being made fun of
or
> something.
>
> When it was obvious that MP3 wasn't going to be abandoned (mainly because
no
> large companies are in control of it, it's fame is purely fan-made) that's
> when things like the Rio became popular. People won't buy MD because they
> are afraid it will get dumped, even though it's a decade old, most
Americans