Gerard Naude wrote:

> Hmmm, come to think of it:
>
> To flip a disc over to get 500 MB isn't so hot. SDMI, uuuuugh. IF ONLY
> Sony/Sharp would make MD devices that could take the 650 MB discs, and maybe
> give MD recorders data transfer capability? Now THAT would be hot. Imagine:
> Throw like 2 hours of music onto it, a few photos, maybe a small game, and
> some data files you need, all on one convenient disc/recorder. Drool.

It seems to me that the problem with that would be that you would have to be
looking at some kind of DVD-MD to accomplish that.  They would also have to do
something about transfer speeds.  DATA MDs are very slow.

Since a DVD player can ready regular CDs, a DVD-MD player should have no problem
with standard MDs.  This might actually make a lot more sense than solid state
if only because I can't see how you can get the price of solid state storage
down low enough.

I was talking to one of the engineers from what used to be RCA's solid state
plant where I live.  He told me that they could make any kind of chips with the
equipment they have, but memory chips would have to be sold to the manufacture
for to low a price.

They would much rather make LSICs where there is a decent profit per chip.