* "Eric Woudenberg, Minidisc.org Editor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on
Tue, 12 Jun 2001
| Matsushita (Panasonic) makes their own MD gear, ATRAC chips and
| all. JVC (and previously Kenwood) also produce MD portables that are
| uniquely their own.

I don't know much about Panasonic's players (I've never even seen one).
JVC and Kenwood sell rebadged Sharp units.  Other Sharp resellers include
Denon and Onkyo and Audiophase (indirectly through Kenwood).

| Up until the AM-F90, Aiwa produced their own MD recorders as well.  With
| the AM-F90 they rebadged the MZ-R900 from Sony, their parent company.

Aiwa = Sony, as you say.  The guts of any Aiwa MD player or recorder are
Sony parts.

| AFAIK Sony has never offered their portables through a VAR. There are
| other manufactures that purchase MD drives or chipsets from Sony or Sharp
| but add quite a bit of their own MiniDisc related technology, the Tascam
| and Yamaha multitrack recorders are good examples of this.

And how does this disprove my statement that "Sony does it all the time",
licensing their stuff to their competition?
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container and