Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> * Shawn Lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Wed, 13 Jun 2001
> | I disagree.  Inside my Aiwa XR-H66MD is definitely different than most
> | Sony equipment that I've seen.  Aiwa uses Sony parts, and that's as far
> | as the similarities go as far as I can tell.  However, just about all my
> | audio equipment from other manufacturers uses Sony parts too (as well as
> | Motorola, TI, Matsushita, Siemens, Burr-Brown, etc.).
>
> And this just confirms my original point about Sony's "competition".

Your original point was that all MD equipment is rebadged Sony or Sharp,
and that simply isn't true.  Aiwa isn't even a rebadged Sony.  I don't
know what you consider "rebadged", but to me rebadged means the
internals IDENTICAL and the exterior cosmetics are the only difference.
Rebadged does NOT mean "uses some components from this manufacturer".
Rebadged does NOT mean functionally dissimilar.  So I don't see how I
could have confirmed your point.

> | My XR-H66MD doesn't operate like any of my Sony MD recorders either, and
> | its Service Mode is VERY different than Sony's.  I think many Aiwa models
> | don't share the same PCB's with any Sony-branded unit.
>
> Maybe not, but look at what is soldered to those PCBs, and you'll find a
> lot of Sony hardware, either branded that way or licensed.

So they share the same chips, that doesn't mean they are rebadged
versions of an existing Sony model.  If they were, the entire PCB would
be interchangeable between units.

Sharing technology is totally different from rebadging.

Shawn