Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> * las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Tue, 12 Jun 2001
> | That's not correct.  At least not with the models before the FM90!  Aiwa is
> | a totally separate operation from Sony.
>
> On paper, maybe.  The difference between Sony and Aiwa is very much like
> the difference between Ford and Lincoln.
>
> | They have separate facilities and design their own stuff.  If you have
> | ever looked at an Aiwa F80 and compared it with what ever model was out
> | from Sony at the same time, you can see that these units have nothing in
> | common.
>
> On the outside.

I disagree.  Inside my Aiwa XR-H66MD is definitely different than most
Sony equipment that I've seen.  Aiwa uses Sony parts, and that's as far
as the similarities go as far as I can tell.  However, just about all my
audio equipment from other manufacturers uses Sony parts too (as well as
Motorola, TI, Matsushita, Siemens, Burr-Brown, etc.).  My XR-H66MD
doesn't operate like any of my Sony MD recorders either, and its Service
Mode is VERY different than Sony's.  I think many Aiwa models don't
share the same PCB's with any Sony-branded unit.

Shawn