* Thus spake Churchill, Guy [2001-06-18]:

> When was the last time someone on this m-list purchased a Cassette
> walkman ?  Are they still very popular ? They are still on the shelves
> but I don't know anyone who has bought one in the last 3 years.

I know quite a few. The thing is: they're cheap! If you want to have a
portable music device and you have to look in your wallet more often
than you'd like to, you first think: cassette, then CD and then (maybe)
MD.

You can get a very decent cassette walkman for $50 or less! If you just
want some doodlededum in the ear, you only need $10. MD walkman
(recorders..., you have to record those MDs somewhere) start at $150
here in Germany and a High-School student thinks twice before buying
such a device.

Christoph