On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 03:25:12 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<snipped discussion of how Macrovision works...>

>  I think the key phrase here is copy.  The process does not affect the
signal if it
>  is simply passed through.

My understanding of how Macrovision works, is that it is broadcast alongside
/ within the normal signal. And within VCRs the HQ circuitry picks up on it,
in a way that a normal TV wouldn't.

As you've mentioned, if Macrovision permannently affected the signal (I
don't believe it has relevance to S-Video and RGB / component transport,
merely composite), anything bearing it, would be u/s on TVs.

So on the issue of passing a signal through a VCR, then to a TV, via RF, I'd
suggest it rather depends on whether passthrough of the signal goes through
the relevant part of the VCR circuitry that would effect it. Hypothetically,
this could vary, from VCR, to VCR (I'm rather assuming there are no
standards, or prohibitive factors, there).

Neil