Luis Dodero wrote:

> Hi all, don't know if this has been seen before, but it seems like a pretty
> good deal, soundcard with coax SPDIF, optical SPDIF and even an MD optical
> cable for $40! The review's here:
>
> http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/reviews/zoltrix_nightingale/

Wow!!  This sounds almost too good to be true for that price.  My sound card is
built into my mother board and sucks.  But if I eliminate the built in sound
card, I can not use the built in LAN (which I'm not using right now, plus I'm
sure I have some extra cards around) and the built in modem (again, not that
big a deal because I have an external 56K USR Sportster modem stored away
somewhere.

I think that this is something I'm going to consider.

One question, if you are playing MP3 files that you have downloaded and want to
record to MD, would those files be accessible as SPDIF out from your sound
card?  Supposed you played the mp3 with Windows Media Player.

Also, I know that SPDIF stands for the initials of several different
electronics manufactures.  But isn't the so called SPDIF output simply PCM,
just like the digital output on an MD deck?

Larry