> Luis Dodero wrote:
>
> > Hi all, don't know if this has been seen before, but it seems like a
pretty
> > good deal, soundcard with coax SPDIF, optical SPDIF and even an MD
optical
> > cable for $40! The review's here:
> >
> > http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/reviews/zoltrix_nightingale/
>
> Wow!!  This sounds almost too good to be true for that price.  My sound
card is
> built into my mother board and sucks.  But if I eliminate the built in
sound
> card, I can not use the built in LAN (which I'm not using right now, plus
I'm
> sure I have some extra cards around) and the built in modem (again, not
that
> big a deal because I have an external 56K USR Sportster modem stored away
> somewhere.
>
> I think that this is something I'm going to consider.
>
> One question, if you are playing MP3 files that you have downloaded and
want to
> record to MD, would those files be accessible as SPDIF out from your sound
> card?  Supposed you played the mp3 with Windows Media Player.
>
> Also, I know that SPDIF stands for the initials of several different
> electronics manufactures.  But isn't the so called SPDIF output simply
PCM,
> just like the digital output on an MD deck?
>
> Larry

I have on of these cards myself, BUT you have to buy the optical module to
do all that or build your own (which I am in process of doing as we speak).
Don't let people put you off this card and say you should buy something like
a Midiman DIO 2448, because they use EXACTLY the same chipset, the CMI8378,
so my advice is go with it and see what you think, I myself have found it
better than the built in AWE64 on my mobo

Stuart Howlette