There my be some pro decks still out there, but why would you want to do it?  You
would still only have analog recordings.  At best the PCM tape would sound about as
good as the original analog.

High quality MP3 recordings would probably give you better quality sound, if the
original files were digitally recorded.  On a 700 MB CDR you could record
approximately 200 to 250 songs (depending upon the length of each song-obviously
Patti Smith's Land/Horses is going to take more than 3 times the space of Del
Shannon's "Run Away" :) ).

If each song were an average of 3 MB you'd be able to get about 230 songs on the
disk.  And if each song averaged 3 minutes, that would be 11 and a half hours of
music.  OK, lets say my calculations were off and you could only get 10 hours on a
CD (700 MB).  That would be 10 hours of compressed, BUT digital recordings made from
digital originals.

You can purchase a CD Writer for as low as $100 (although I'd suggest going a little
higher and getting a faster unit-say $150.00).

A portable CD/MP3 player can be purchased for about $99.  And you can even get an
Apex DVD player (their basic model with no digital or component video out) which
plays MP3s for $99.

You can even get a car unit that plays MP3 CDs (although, I'd wait for the price to
drop).

You can convert any music CDs you have to MP3 files on the fly and either record
them to HD and then to CD (I'd suggest taking this extra step) or even directly to
CD).

Although Napster is in a coma, it hasn't seemed to have affected Musiccity.com's
Morpheus.  I'm also fairly certain that "legal" downloads of most music will soon be
available for a small fee (Morpheus is free and currently has about 350,000 songs
available at any given time).

Of course if I misunderstood your original question and you have songs recorded on
analog media (vinyl, cassettes, etc.) that you need to transfer, your best bet,
IMHO, would be to record them on to MDs.  From there if you wanted you could copy
them to your computer.

LAS