Gary Gilliland wrote:
>4. VHS Hi-Fi is not digital and is usually implemented poorly for
>critical recording in all but really expensive pro decks.

Whether it's digital or not is largely irrelevant here. What matters is the
sound quality, and I don't think MP3s are going to give you incredibly
better sound quality.

As I said before, the drawback to that is 2 or 6 hours to a tape. I agree
that at 6-hour speeds the sound wouldn't be as good as at 2-hour speeds, but
the audio quality doesn't drop at all as much as the video quality between
SP and EP. At standard speeds (2-hour), even on a mid-level hi-fi VCR, IMO
the sound of VHS is better than MP3. But if he's not looking for the best
sound quality, and just wants to review some radio programs, then 6 hours of
VHS is a pretty good way to do it, and certainly a lot easier that dealing
with recording/ripping MP3s.

As for finding content, some VCRs (my Mitsubishi is one) allows you to place
index marks on your tapes that work just like track marks. Not all do, but
if you do it's a great feature.

las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>While I'm sure that Dan F. knows that VHS Hi-Fi is not digital, I
>don't think he realizes that the problem with MP3 is usually the
>hardware and not the format.

Not sure what this means, Larry. MP3 is compressed audio, but not only that,
even at the highest bitrate it's inferior compression to our beloved ATRAC.
In my mind, that makes the problem the format, since even the best hardware
is limited by the format.

>Perhaps Dan has very high end equipment, but as impressed as I was
>with Hi-Fi video when they first came out (both VHS and Beta) I don't
>think that the sound quality is as good as many of the cuts on the
>MP3 CDs that I make.

Perhaps it is our systems. Certainly possible. But I don't have "high-end"
video equipment, just a nice Mitsubishi Hi-Fi VCR (although an older model
from when Mitsubishi was the cream of the consumer crop for VCRs ;) )