Brent Harding asked about PCM adapters, and the discussion went off in other
directions.  In the interest of historical accuracy a few points might help Brent and
anyone else wanting to do something like this.

  1. PCM adapters do exist, but they are antiques.  I have a number of them: Anyone
interested in a PCM 10?  How about an F1 or 500?  I'll keep my 600s, thank you.

  2. The A/D and D/A is unimpressive by 21st Century standards.  The 600s have S/PDIF
I/O, so they are more usable.

  3. VHS at SLP (6-Hour speed) yields many PCM uncorrectable errors so there is much
interpolation.  Beta is better, but who has it anymore?

  4. VHS Hi-Fi is not digital and is usually implemented poorly for critical recording
in all but really expensive pro decks.

  5. Sony made an 8mm video deck many years ago that directly implemented PCM audio
recording as an optional mode, yielding a very long unattended recording and play time.

  6. Any linear-access recording medium is a bear for finding things.  Hence
auto-locators and time code on pro decks.

Hope this helps.

Gary