"Tom P.D. Daniels" wrote:

> Generally ? meaning what ? it obviously depends on where you get the mp3.
> When downloading from kazaa and the like, the quality indeed varies
> greatly.BUT all the mp3s i created myself are either 256 or 320 kbps cbr or
> lame vbr. This is equivalent to cd-quality (meaning only 'golden ear'
> people can detect the difference in a blind listening test, much like with
> MD) Please check out http://r3mix.cjb.net for more info on achieving
> 'CD-quality' MP3s.
>
> Tom,

Once you start making MP3 files at 320 kbps, you are greatly increasing the size
of the file and decreasing the amount of compression you are using.  Eventually
you reach a point of diminishing returns.

One question, there is standard bit rate for SPMDs (standard MDs).  Although you
can vary the bit rate for MP3 files, isn't there a bit rate that is considered the
generally accepted standard (like 128)?  At least 80% of the MP3 files I have seen
are recorded at 128.

If I were able to double the bit rate of ATRAC I would get half the storage space
but " create MDs equivalent to cd-quality" that even " 'golden ear' people" might
not be able to "detect the difference in a blind listening test"

LAS