Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> If the community is such a valuable part of shipping
> products on time... where is the community's tablet UX?

Oh my. What monster topic have I unleashed?

My point, I think, is that design can happen in the public eye without
being design by community. I'm perfectly happy for a designer to say to
someone "I've listened to your point of view and considered it, and
we're going to do it my way". What I'm not happy with is "That's a good
idea, but it's too late to change it now".

Re. design in private, the problem is that you're getting all the
downside of community development (having to deal with the community
complaining about everything) and none of the upside (because you're not
giving community members the tools to be productive).

Note that the tablet UX still doesn't have a code-centric project home
page yet. I think it would be hugely useful for someone to start a Wiki
page for the tablet UX, linking to the various Git modules, documenting
how to build & run the bleeding edge, and collecting the names of the
development team for each module. This would enable people interested to
start following along with development & start developing new features
straight away, instead of waiting for the next release.

Nice community task for someone?

Cheers,
Dave.

--