On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Knut Yrvin <knut.yr...@nokia.com> wrote:

> To be blunt Pau Garcia, Kate got it right. Here is why:

Thanks for replying, Knut. I think it's very helpful for the community
to get a better understanding of the game plans of the commercial
partners of Meego and Tizen, and it's nice that you're able to give us
a glimpse of what we can expect from Nokia in the the future.

> Symbian will be supported until at least 2016[1]. As we speak there are +9
> million apps downloads to Symbian daily. Many of those are made with Qt.

It's good to hear that Symbian support is definitely going to be there
until (at least) 2016. Speaking about this project specifically, what
kind of involvement will Nokia have with Meego/Tizen over the same
time period?

> In this perspective, MeeGo and now Tizen is just another targets for those
> who are using Qt to make rich user experiences with touch an animations.
> It's here QML really shines. The cross platform properties of Qt enables
> developers to target Tizen in addition to many other Linux distributions and
> other operating systems[5].

So from Nokia's perspective, the preferred development platform for
Meego/Tizen will still be Qt, is that correct?

> What's unfortunate in your line of argument Pau Garcia, is the zero sum game
> you're playing. And you're playing zero sum in a highly changing computer
> industry. Locking 4-5 years back, much has changed. In this environment more
> and more companies has included Qt, shipping millions of devices or reaching
> more downloads than ever with apps made with Qt.
>
> You can engage in this growing market, targeting more systems with Qt than
> other framework[6]. Or you can restrict your self to a single "platform"
> with zero sum thinking. When your limiting your self with zero sum
> arguments, remember this: You are imposing restrictions onto your own
> thinking. Your thinking does not reflect on to all those who are using Qt
> already, and successfully are shipping thousands or millions of Qt based
> apps, cross devices, Linux-distributions and other operating environments.

The impression I've gotten over the last few months was that Nokia was
reducing their investment in Qt as a part of a move to an MS-Windows
phone stack. Microsoft was changing up some of their APIs, and Nokia
was transitioning between OSes and application frameworks as well. You
sing the praises of Qt quite admirably, but your tune appears to be
quite different from the message I'm getting from other people at
Nokia.

Your comparisons of Qt with alternatives as a "cross-platform
[framework]...in this growing market" vs. a restrictive,
"limiting...single 'platform' " seems to be more supportive of Qt on
Symbian, Meego/Tizen, and their ilk than Windows-only frameworks on
Windows Mobile.

I share your enthusiasm for a cross-platform toolkit like Qt, however
I expect that many will be hesitant to invest in any framework not
supported by Nokia's latest line of mobile devices. Is there any
chance that Nokia will make Qt available for the latest versions of
Windows Mobile?

Thanks,
--R