On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 08:29:22 -0600, Nicola Mfb <nicola....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not mean here that you have to support competitors hardware, I
> just want to know what will happen to a *bug* that affects a foreign
> board on Meego OS!
> For example, gcc 4.4.* have some serious bug when generating thumb
> code on armv4t that on some rare code snippets segfaults (the fun
> thingh is that one of these rare cases is the qt sqlite driver).
> This bug affected SHR OpenEmbedded derived distro but not the Angstrom
> one, becouse it uses a different gcc version and classical intruction
> set, add that on SHR the main used toolkit is efl, and that OE targets
> a lot of archs with different toolchains and you'll have developers
> and users aware of that bug.
> Well, when I contacted an SHR maintainer/OE developer he was gentle
> and immediately started to dig on that bug speaking with upstream gcc
> arm developers and so on.
> Always on Qt it happened that building it with -Os instead of -O2
> broken the xml module.
> Again OE developers assigned the bug and fixed the build process for free.
> I just want to know if a similiar case on meego will be marked as
> WONTFIX or will be marked as "UPSTREAM/PENDING" or (weird) you will be
> proactive and forward it upstream.

We (the MeeGo community) will most likely act like most other
communities. Best effort attempt to fix things that are reported as
bugs.

> > There are the usual
> > caveats about specific hardware that may not have open source drivers
> > (PVR graphics and some modems come to mind), but the rest of the
> > software stack /should/ run on any hardware.
>
> Other distros adopt opensource drivers during installation and invite
> the user to download closed drivers after the installation. Using the
> less common denominator on api will make applications running full 3d
> on every board. (I may be wrong here, repeat I'm not skilled about
> gfx).

This approach doesn't work if the proprietary drivers are needed for
networking. Or if the user interface requires working 3D drivers.

My expectation here is that we (the community) will build an open source
distribution with open source components. Vendors that need binary
drivers will have to package those themselves or work with an OSV.

> Now an NDA candidate question, do not blame me as it's more for fun
> and less serious but will let me undesrtand a lot ;)
> Is Nokia going to put efforts on the meego opensource phone apps and
> at the same time coding an alternative closed stack for the next meego
> devices to give an improved user experience?
> or the closed parts will be specific and not overlapping with meego
> (for example vendors funding/collaboration to have flash/skype
> support, ovi maps, commercial speech recognition software and so on?).

I'll have to defer to someone from Nokia to respond to this.

> I'm not attacking, and sincerely appreciate Intel and Nokia for that.

Yeah, email sucks sometimes - and it makes people (like me) defensive
sometimes. My apologies if I over-reacted.

> As a FLOSS fun I exulted when meego was announced, only need to
> understand some logic.
> Personally think that such discussion is more important for community
> peoples like me just waiting on the other river side.
> I'm sure there are a *lot* of people around that would participate in
> meego, just have to know that the horse is good!

I'm working hard to make sure that this is a "good horse" :-)

/D

--
Dirk Hohndel
Intel Open Source Technology Center