On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 11:22:02PM +0200, jeremias bosch wrote:

> In general:
> Rotation and size/position of the vkb most like need mtf. Also
> controlling of the
> screen (dim/blank) you need mtf since at least qmsystem2 is also deprecated.
>
> There might be other things which mtf supports and no api is around
> to do it otherwise.
>
> (maybe we should start to gather all that things and find alternatives)

OK, I'll start, but please don't take this list, or my response to this
thread as a complaint to the change away from MTF, but rather observations
from one currently porting their existing, non-trivial, MTF application to
QML, and where I am finding gaps that I'm not yet aware of solutions for...

With that in mind, here's some gaps I've found so far:

- MApplicationService (default DBus process managemet services, used in
  conjunction with applifed and applauncherd)
  http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/class_m_application_service.html

- MRemoteAction (DBus interfaces to client MAction/QAction for remote
  invocation by other apps/services)
  http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/class_m_remote_action.html

  These first two would definately relieve the complicated and less than
  ideal current means of having to make "system()" calls to mego-qml-launcher
  from our QML apps right now to, for example, launch email client from the
  contacts client to compose a new email to someone.

- MLayout and MAbstractLayoutPolicy (allowing for more than one policy
  per layout, managing which is active)
  http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/class_m_layout.html
  http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/layouts.html

- MGconfItem (Access to GConf keys and signals on them changing, though
  this has been pulled into "mlite", so still technically available)
  http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/class_m_g_conf_item.html

- MNotification* (Sending, managing and rendering various "messages" to
  the session manager, desktop or other system wide handler.  This too has
  been pulled into "mlite", so still technically available, though not yet
  complete)
  http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/class_m_notification.html
  http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/notifications.html

- MTheme (CSS based theming with caching and SVG based assets)
  http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/class_m_theme.html
  http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/styling_stylesheets.html

- The retranslateUI() virtual method on all MWidgets, allowing for live
  runtime reaction to changes in the Language or Locale

http://apidocs.meego.com/git-tip/mtf-old/mtf/class_m_widget.html#a7e9580366ec4fe9d4bd79ec2ecb9ddb8

- The StatusBar shared pixmap.
  Currently, the MTF status bar is not rendered into the meego-ux apps
  that use meego-qml-launcher or libmeegoqmllauncher.  Simialrly, the
  meego-ux status bar does not render into MTF applications either.  I
  can only assume there is also no story for "plain" Qt apps and status
  bar rendering, since, IIRC, it's not reserving space via ICCCM Struts

- Application "prestart"ing...

Shane...