This is something I've actually been thinking of lately. It's so obvious
I'm sure it's already been discussed and theres a valid reason for it
not being pursued. However, I'll ask anyway :)
> I understand the requirement for the multi-plane graphical chips in a legacy
> situation. However, given the move towards GPU accelerated drawing and
> compositing, is this still a requirement of the TV/STB hardware ? I've CC'd
> the meego-tv list on this question too as I think it's pertinent, especially
> with regard to getting dev boards up and running and not having sufficient
> drivers available for the CE4100 chipset.
>
> Could Wayland+GPU not act as the multi-plane compositor now, composing the
> resulting TV image of the Picture, OSD etc. ?
In theory yes but in the real world they are good motives why multiple
plane are here to stay for at least a few years.
 - multiple plans provides HW composting and scaling with far more
energy efficiency that a GPU and that is very important for TV as having
a fan in a TV is a NoNo.
 - multiple plans enable to keep the decrypted - decoded video out o
reach from the application CPU reach what is a mandatory requirement in
PayTV. GPU do not provide that type of feature.
 - timing synchronization in a GPU driven composting is still very
challenging but needed for OSD (e.g. subtitle).