i agree with client built into it
but let's think memcached like a nosql server
key-value
but like a sql server we can implement locks
with a key-value like we can implement locks...
it's just a function over existent structure, don't need modifications
and it's (memcached) very fast
i think for a global locker daemon we could implement it at memcached

since a lock is just a key-value managed by a diferent fuction (LOCK)
we can use others function with that key-value (GET, SET, ADD, DELETE,
etc)

another interesting idea was replication (repcache) and non volatile
memory (memcachedb)
with these three ideas we can have a very very good nosql server (it's
not a sql server yet, but it's very good)

check that for a global locker (cluster) we don't have good
implementations (nfs have a locker daemon, some others file system
have, but a generic locker daemon don't exist (google answered to me
hehehe))

would be nice put it at core level and clients

CAS was not a core feature, but it's very nice to have CAS at server
side... why not a LOCK function? it's easy to implement... just LOCK
or UNLOCK no more options, key-value based, key=lock name, value =
exists = unlocked, just DELETE(UNLOCK) <key>-<value> can delete the
key, or timeout can delete it too...
see that we will have a new delete option... (SQL like): delete
key=sent_key where value=sent_value, (today) delete key=sent_key
too function to implement:

LOCK (create a key-value, always return value)
UNLOCK (delete key-value, if key-value=sent(key-value) delete, return
before delete value, if not exist return blank or null)

that's it easy not?
timeout could work too (it's key-value based)

--
Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial