I get why you may strike out on your own and write an extension to memcached
that does exactly what you want (kind of, there _are_ better tools, as
mentioned),
that's precisely what open source is about. I do not get why you're so
persistent
about getting changes that the community and maintainers have said several times
is not the direction memcached is headed committed to the trunk. As Dustin just
said, write your own engine. Put it on Github, show it off here,
publicize it, write
blogs about it, that's totally great! What's wrong with that?

- Marc