A Frankenbenz!!!!

If you get the brass ones to go ahead, let me know how it works out, because I want to turn a 250C in to a diesel convertable

On Wednesday, June 22, 2005, at 05:09 AM, Joseph Shaw wrote:

I am curious as to the possibility of swapping engines in Mercedes vehicles.

I have the 250C I have been discussing the carbs in, but have seen a couple of 300D wrecks with supposedly not bad miles on the engine around here lately. I would love to convert mine, but was wondering if this was an easy swap or a difficult swap.

Mine is a '72 250C, which uses the 2.8L, inline 6 engine. I think this is a very similar set-up to the 280 and 300 diesel engines of the same vintage, and it may be as simple as a drop in, although likely a different tranny would be needed as well.

Is this as easy as it looks, or is it a major undertaking?

Also, if this is a possibility, what year did they change engines to make this easier v. more difficult?

I think the '70's to early 80's 300D's all looked about the same, but don't know specifics.

Thanks to all you that know this kind of info for any advice you can provide!

J. Michael Shaw, II, D.C.
  --
Clay
Seattle Bioburner