Ed-

Well, first, let me thank you for at least giving me SOME sort of answer. I appreciate it!

I guess I was speaking/writing from my experience on a couple of other lists I am on. I am on an old Toyota Celicas list, and on an IHC (International Harvesters) list. Both of these forums are very free-form and creative, and I enjoy hearing many tales about conversion issues.

The thing is, with both of these, there are many "incestuous" major conversions that are very easily possible, so perhaps I am spoiled. With the Celicas, many of the engines are simply later and more progressive versions of the same engine, and thus, swapping different engines are quite easy.

With the IH's, things are even more basic, and almost anything is very possible with a hoist, a wrench, and a couple hours. There are some minor variations, and in the '70's when, for a period, their demand outweighed their productivity, they threw some AMC engines into their chassis. Outside of those "few" specialty vehicles, many IH's swaps are simple bolt-out and bolt-in applications. And since these groups (Toyota and IH) are a couple of the few vehicles I respect as having longevity similar to the older Mercedes. Thus, for some reason, I assumed the same simplicity may be part of Mercedes success. Perhaps this is so, perhaps not.

SO, if anyone is still paying attention, and having had a 300D, and looked at, tinkered with, and dealt with several 240D'D and a 280D(?) some point, I thought the set-ups looked very similar. Thus, I thought someone could tell me if, with the exception of the vacuum locks, etc, this was a simple "bolt-in and bolt-out" propsition.

Yes, I realize that with a grinder, a welder, and some metal, you can fit about anything into about anything, I was very curious of the 300D engine fit onto the same motor mounts, fit in the same general front-to-back area, etc, so that I would not have to mod tranny mounts, etc. With an IH this is possible. With many Toyotas this is possible.

SO, IS THIS POSSIBLE WITH A MERCEDES? To make this swap without a welder and a grinder?

There-maybe that question makes my main inquiry clearer.

Thanks for the input, and for showing me the flaw in my line of questioning!

Michael

Mike,

Let me let you in on a galactic secret .... *anything* is possible :)
There is no such limit as impossible, only highly improbable. I've
seen really really odd things. (and I mean really odd)

I've seen a De Lorean DMC-12 with a Mazda Wankel Rotary

I've seen a Chevrolet S-10 with a Mercedes I4 Diesel

I've seen a Volkswagen Beetle with a GM V6

I've seen a House Fly

I've seen a Stir Fry

I've seen just about everything, but I've never seen an elephant fly.

Sorry, got on a roll there. The point is this, anything you can
possible imagine, dream up, think of, write down, draft out on paper,
or simply talk about concerning a car can be done. The only question
you need to ask is this: "Is this economical enough for me to consider
doing within my budget?"

Anything else is gravy. I mean, on the Beetle (Old Beetle) they had to
route coolant lines through the chassis, make fundimental changes in
the way the body mounted, put a radiator beneath the trunk and gas
tank and at the proper angle that it would be able to keep the V6
(which didn't fit under the hood anyway and had to have this whale
tail like thing crafted and put over it) cooled.

But tell you what, you guys get me a 250C and an old 300D, and I'll
make it work, put together diagrams, put up a website, etc and then
everyone can do it. But they have to be free, 250C rust free and 300D
engine running :)

Everything else is gravy.

--
Knowledge is power... Power Corrupts. Study hard... Be Evil.