Instead of putting the 617 in at this point, I would strip the car to bare metal and kill every last tin worm hole or mark. The amount of effort I put into Gump is commensurate with her purchase price and effort expended. As I put more elbow grease, I will no doubt up the bar on standards to the point she becomes more #2 quality than 20 foot.

With rust eating away at the car, you will dump lots of effort into getting the engine into a car that may not have life equal to the effort. Having not seen the car myself, only you can make that choice. Having seen the failure points in PnP cars, I know where I need to pay attention so that when I start the sheet metal process, I will end up with a superb engine in a great body. Right now, there are incipient melanomas that attention will keep from spreading until full chemo and radiation/welding can deal with