I've been meaning to ask about this for a while. One of my instrument panel lights burnt out and I want to replace it, but I can't figure out how to get to it. The car in question is a 300D 2.5Turbo, without telescoping steering column.

Thanks,

Chase M. K.

From: Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 124 instrument cluster removal/tripmeter repair
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:11:43 -0400

Joe Knight wrote:
Don't recall having to detach the speedo cable at the tranny to get
the ic out of the albatross.  Is this really necessary or is there
room to get a hand up in there after removing the lower access panel?

Wagon's trip meter died a couple of weeks ago.  Makes a quite audible
clicking noise when the wagon's in motion so I'm thinking it's
probably a broken gear rather than one just slipping on its shaft. Odo's still fine. Do I remember correctly that someone's found a
source for a likely replacement gear if this is the case?

IC will come far enough out of a 124 (with the steering wheel in the fully extended position) to get your hand behind it to disconnect the electrical and speedo cables. There's a clip down on the steering column support that may need to be released. I have to disconnect at the transmission on a 201.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm