Joe Knight wrote:
It's pretty clear from looking at the thing that meaningful access
must be thru the front.  I've tried tugging on the dial as hard as I
dare to no effect except that the black disk that covers the center
popped off easily enough; it was just glued on lightly.  Not really
visible in the 3rd pic, there's a small hole in the center of the hub
directly above the shaft, leading me to think maybe a tiny puller
might be needed to remove the dial w/o damage to the inner workings.

Hard to believe nobody's gone any deeper into one of these things &
lived to tell about it.

VDO lifts the needle off by lifting the center hub while pushing on the dial face with something like - let's see if I can describe it - imagine a pliers-like-device that opens (rather than closes) as you squeeze it. The jaws (both top and bottom) were forked so the lower jaw that pushes down on the face slips on either side of the shaft and the upper jaw that lifts the needle hub ALSO slips over the shaft - then as you squeeze, the needle is lifted on the shaft and finally pops off. I have been able to use a curved hemostat to accomplish much the same thing (but not nearly as easily or elegantly). The needle fits VERY snuggly on the shaft. On re assembly, the needle is forced back on with VERY firm pressure with the needle pointing to where it was neutral (plus or minus any error).

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm