I has success removing the neelde from an "economy" gauge - using a
pair of spoons (wife wasn't looking), one on each side, with care to
maintain even pressure on both sides to pry it off. It was quite
tight, and flew a few feet when it did come loose. I don't know if
this will work on a speedometer, but it's what I'd try.

--
OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK