I understand this problem
 what I did was to use a gas that I found out was a refrigerant it was  of
all things computer key board cleaner... I  have a side can tap  so  it worked
just like the r 12
 I had a major leak and it was easy to find actually I needed to blow  old
oil and debris out of a system and this worked fine then I added oil ,  charged
the system and let it run for 4 or five weeks  when  there was no pressure
loss I was assured of a tite system  I then  evacuated the system  and
evacuated
the system  and  added the correct refrigerant and it worked ....( now I know
there are going to  be a lot of neg stuff said here ) this system still works
 fine ,,,, both  of them !!!!! ) the reason I did not just was air was
because I needed  a DRY GAS   and air has way too much moisture in it and also
it is
not  condensable gas.

actually any dry gas can be used  to test for leaks
 mike collins
 1985 500 sec