safely discharge into the atmosphere and refill with $7 R134a cans from Autozone. The newer stuff has oils that don't eat the seals in old cars. That was the big stink with converting R12 cars to R134 -- you had to redo all the seals. shops charged a few hundred bucks for that. I have a receipt showing the PO of my old 83 300D paid $1300 to have someone retrofit the system. Now all you have to do is buy a $40 kit from Autozone and somehow evacuate the old system. (or maybe just discharge it)

the pros use nitrogen to pressure test AC systems. - that according to my brother, an air conditioning professional.

of course he works on ammonia systems with supply lines the size of radiator hoses.

-Sealover