Speaking of 1969 Volvos...  let's go back 10 model years.  My third
car was a beetleback 1959 Volvo P144S with a 4-speed manual shifter on
the floor.  It cruised all day at 77 mph and was a delight to drive.
My first two cars were 1950 DeSotos with slush-o-matic (semiautomatic)
transmissions that stalled at every busy intersection in Boston and
Minneapolis!  The good old days - they  were TERRIBLE.