My folks had a '69 Volvo 164--the first year. The car was unbelivably fast for the time--0-60 in 8.8 seconds. 45-75 mph passing was particularly thrilling. The thing would easily outrun american big blocks. Ours developed a bad knock at 45k miles and we sold it. There were a bunch of other quality problems as well--the mirror backings peeled off almost immediately, etc. The 164e was actually seriously considered by the California Highway Patrol as a Police cruiser. As I remember, it didn't handle nearly as well as my 300SD--solid rear axle, nose-heavy, and lots of body roll, on skinny, noisy little Michlin Xs.
--
Dan Weeks
82 VW Westfalia 1.6 TD conversion 175k