K-jet came out around 74 or 75 -- up to that time, only D-Jet was available. LH-Jet came along about then, too.

K-jet (CIS) was the best, as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think it was ever installed on the flat four, which was on it's way out by then. VW put D-Jet on the flat four in 1968 - fastback and wagon had twin webers before that.

To change over to carbs, I would have advised getting the manifolds off the earlier engine along with the carbs and installing the air pre-heat system to solve the icing problem -- that's why they all had pre-heat.

Peter