You guys are a really tough crowd! I'd be the first to agree that Cadillac lost its way in the last 20 years, with the absolute low point being the Cimarron. Total POS, without doubt. A big part of the problem was the beancounter mentality of the Roger Smith era that led to so much inter-divisional standardization. Brand identity blurred to the point you couldn't tell one GM from another. And like Jeff Zedic, I drove only imports and swore that I'd never buy an American car.

That was then, however. In fairness to Cadillac, I think they've done an amazing job at re-establishing their differentiation from other GM nameplates while making inroads with much younger buyers. In 2004, I looked very long and hard at midsize luxury SUVs. I considered the Lexus RX, Infiniti FX, VW Touareg, BMW X5, Acura MDX, MB ML, etc. but ended up buying a Cadillac SRX V8. I tried very hard NOT to like the Caddy, trust me! But I've never regretted the decision: It's very fast (0-60 in about 6.1), smooth (the Northstar V8 is awesome), and roomy (3 rows of seats), yet handles like a sports sedan. Some of the others were better in one category or another, but none were nearly as good overall. And I still like the styling - at least you don't see one on every street corner like the RX330.

Just FYI, the SRX didn't have a single flaw at delivery and has been rock-solid dependable for 20k miles. Fit and finish are far better than GM cars of the past, although maybe not *quite* up to top-line European standards yet. We took another couple out to dinner the other night - he's the retired CEO of GE Appliance working directly for Jack Welch, and his primary ride is a BMW 740iL. He was absolutely shocked to learn that he was riding in a Cadillac... in fact, he wouldn't believe me until I showed him the logo on the steering wheel!

And it's not just the SRX - take a look at the CTS (especially the V-series!), STS, or the XLR and you'll see these "ain't your father's Cadillacs". As Mike says, the Escalade is the exception - it's clearly a rebadged Suburban. But even the Escalade successfully opened up new upscale markets that the Suburban wasn't touching (ever see a basketball player driving a Suburban with chrome spinner wheels?), and started the change in Cadillac's "old fart" image.

So I think Cadillac, at least, HAS learned. If anything, Caddy's reputation is now dragged down by the rest of GM's empire. They're building very good cars that can compete with the best, but it takes a long time to rebuild a tarnished brand image.

  Rob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Canfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
They still do the same thing now and get away with it......Remember when a GMC was a TRUCK and a Caddy was, well, a Caddy not a "Pimped out Suburban". When will they ever learn???????