"The rising cost of food means their money gets them about a third fewer
bags of groceries — $100 used to buy about 12 bags of groceries, but now
it's more like seven or eight. So they cut back on expensive items like
meat, and they don't buy extras like ice cream anymore. Instead, they
eat a lot of starches like potatoes and noodles."

Both those women in the picture must weigh at least 300lb, so much for
groceries being an issue.

I used to live in Dorchester, a part of Boston with a significant
immigrant (recent, as well as the Irish and everyone else who came over
and started at the bottom of the heap) population. There was a fruit/veg
store there, kind of a warehouse thing, that always had good stuff
cheap. I would go there and see these Caribs buying rice, beans,
unidentifiable root things, and other stuff, very little meat. They were
all skinny and in good health. There were some Haitians living across
the street from me, 3 brothers bought a triple-decker (triple decka) and
lived in it with their families, all worked 2 or 3 jobs and loved
America for what they could do. Whenever I talked to them on the street,
they would invariably go off on the lazy welfare types up the street
(black, but these guys were blacker) who were fat, lazy, no-good
criminals, etc etc. Definitely not PC, and the language they used would
have gotten me shot! My next door neighbor was Cape Verdean, he had a
little garden plot in back, grew weird stuff, and he had the same
attitude. They were harsher than the Irish rednecks up the street, go
figure.

Don't work, no money, get fat. Work hard, make money, stay skinny. What
a country!

--R

Anyway, no reason