Rich Thomas wrote:

> Don't work, no money, get fat. Work hard, make money, stay skinny. What
> a country!

We get a certain economic vigor from immigrants. They are more motivated than
the average bear, or they'd still be sitting in the same place they were born.

Unfortunately, at least with Mexicans, the 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants
often pick up the worst of the lower class American habits. I have no idea how
many generations Ms Nunez's family was here, but if she's forty and her dad
retired after 45 years at GM, she's a natural citizen of the USSA.

The original title to the NPR article was "For Some Ohioans, Even Meat Is Out
Of
Reach", which left me thinking "of course she can't reach it, her arm's too
heavy to lift" and "it sure looks like plenty of some calorie source is in her
reach". When you get into the details of the story, she has more free spending
cash than a lot of taxpaying workers. She gets housing, $102 in food stamps and
$637 in cash. Obviously, a 400lb manatee consumes more than $100 a month in
food, but even if she pays $300 a month for food she's got about $440 a month
after food, medical, and housing to pay for utilities, clothes, etc.

I know somebody who would gladly trade places with this cow. She works at
WalMart, takes home about $800 a month after taxes, pays $500 a month in rent,
and gets taken to the cleaners by medical care providers who would accept far
less if insurance or medicaid was paying for it. Her idea of a good week is
when
she has $20 left over to put in her gas tank to drive to work on.

Mitch.