I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

It's sustainable in that most indigenous peoples (the ones that are
still around) have found a way to use their natural resources almost
indefinitely without depleting them, and consequently wiping
themselves out. Any culture that has been living almost the same way
for thousands of years must have found a way to use it's resources
sustainably, or else it would have wiped itself out long ago, as my
(our?) society is working on doing.

I define sustainability in terms of three factors: cultural, economic,
and environmental. Cultural sustainability means that a culture is
able to continue to exist with regard to its own value system (things
it wishes to stay the same do so). Economic sustainability means that
the people are able to maintain sufficient economic prosperity to
survive. Environmental sustainability means that the environment and
ecosystem isn't being destroyed or changed in ways that eliminate the
resources people need to obtain food, water, and shelter. A
sustainable way of living needs to be sustainable with regard to all 3
factors, which are inter-related, and can't exist without one another.

Does that clarify what I mean by sustainable, what exactly is being
sustained, and why?

Tyler