Clay,

You have an unstated premise in your arguments: That the purpose of
human life is to contribute to economic prosperity, and the value of
each persons life is proportional to their relative contribution. This
is an inherently flawed way of looking at it, because economic systems
are tools developed by people to improve their lives, not the other
way around. An economic system has no value unless it's providing a
benefit to humans, but humans still can have intrinsic value without
providing a benefit to economic systems. This type of thinking is what
leads to justification of gross injustice (see the Summers memo at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summers_Memo)
.

Nevertheless, it's clear that our planet is far above it's sustainable
carrying capacity, at least with the levels of resource consumption
people currently have (see http://jclahr.com/bartlett/). That still
doesn't give you a right to play god by using your own value system to
decide who lives or dies. I highly suggest reading the writings of
Professor Albert A. Bartlett (see previous url) for some insight into
the causes and solutions to the overpopulation problem that don't
involve you becoming king of the world and executing people based on
their relative economic contributions.

Also, these people that you say aren't "keep[ing] the economy chugging
along" and should be "let go" are also likely consuming much less
resources, and contributing less to both global warming and over-
consumption of resources than those who are. By your own logic (which
I want to be clear that I disagree with) you are choosing the wrong
group of people to "let go." There is a single proven sustainable way
to live on our planet:  the way that indigenous peoples have been
living around the world for thousands of years. I am guessing that the
people that you say are "smart, well fed, well resourced people" are
living the least like the indigenous peoples, and are contributing the
most to the problem.

If I've misunderstood what you're saying please let me know, but it
comes across as self-contradictory the way I'm reading it.

Sincerely,
Tyler